Poisonous Garden Plants Lists
The following list are of plants which are known to be
poisonous or irritant or otherwise harmful. The list is not exhaustive,
As with many things, common sense should prevail.
It is well nigh impossible to remove
everything which is harmless in life. Cars and all forms of
transport can also be dangerous. We learn to recognise the
danger, and then respect it.
This list is by no means exhaustive, and I suspect that there
are many plants out there which are more dangerous. But of
course - other than the scientific studies - we only get to know
about them in the VERY RARE occasion that a problem occurs.
If there is ever a time when you think that someone has
fallen prey to plant toxicity, then try to identify the plant
responsible - but not to delay the visit to a doctor.
There is no sensationalism in naming these plants
- though the odd email suggests that is what we are
about. Education and awareness are the determining
factors. Far better for us to name and identify
plants which have scientific study done upon their
toxicity, rather than omitting a plant name because
of rarity of incident!
Considered to be the most dangerous
- some lethal if eaten!
- Aconitum - Monkshood
- Arum - Cuckoo pint.
- Colchicum - The autumn crocus - Can be fatal if eaten
- Convallaria - Lily of the Valley
- Cytisus - the Broom - All parts can be fatal if eaten.
- Daphne - Shrub grown for its beautifully scented flowers - Can
- Delphinium - All
parts Highly toxic - can be fatal if eaten
- Digitalis - Foxgloves are everywhere and can be lethal.
- Gloriosa superba - The beautiful Gloriosa Lily!
- Laburnum - Beautiful golden rain flowers; Can be Fatal if eaten
- Lantana - Now very popular in the summer border or planted tub!
- Nerium - A beautiful conservatory plant
- Phytolacca - The poke weed
- Ricinus communis - Castor Oil Plant. Not to be confused with
- Taxus - A hedge favourite.
- Veratrum - The false Hellebore.
Lantana (Other colours available)
Ricinus (Castor Oil Plant)
Laburnum (Golden Rain)
Daphne mezereum Rubrum
Convallaria (Lily of the Valley)
The following are also considered to be either poisonous
or skin irritants.
The severity of the problems caused by skin
irritant plants should not be underestimated. Once a
reaction has occurred, it can cause severe skin problems
for years if not life.
Some of those listed below are poisonous - some are skin
allergens. There are more that we will be adding to the
list as time goes by.
- Aesculus - Horse Chestnut
- Alstroemeria - The Peruvian Lily
- Aquilegia - Garden Columbine - Ladies Bonnet
- Caltha - The Marsh Marigold
- Chrysanthemum - now known as Dendranthema -
Severe skin irritation
- Cupressocyparis Leylandii
- Datura - Angels Tears
- Dicentra spectabilis - Bleeding Heart
- Dictamnus alba
- Euphorbia - the Spurge
- Fremontodendron - Californian Poppy
- Gaultheria - Popular ground cover plant
- Gloriosa Lily
- Hedera helix - common ivy - or its variegated
- Helleborus - The Christmas or Lenten Rose
- Hyacinthus - Potted or garden
- Ipomoea - The Morning Glory (Seeds)
- Juniperus sabina - Low growing Juniper (Seeds or
- Kalmia - Calico Bush
- Ligustrum - Privet hedges etc
- Lobelia - the perennial types
- Narcissus - Daffodils etc
- Nerium - The Oleander. Foliage is poisonous, can
be fatal if eaten or chewed.
- Phytolacca - The Poke Weed or Poke Root
- Polygonatum - Solomon's Seal
- Primula obconica - a treacherous house plant.
Yet I have handled thousands of these - as a grower.
other gardeners have perhaps had a day or so
handling them, and then become alergic - seemingly
by just being in the presence of them!
- Rhamnus - The Sea Buckthorn
- Rheum - Looks like Rhubarb
- Ruta graveolens - sold as a herb - even now
- Scilla - beautiful bulbous plant with blue
- Solanum tuberosum - The POTATO green parts.
- Symphytum - Comfrey has many toxic properties -
A herb indeed!
- Thuja occidentalis - Often sold as a hedging
- Tulip - The tulip bulbs can be severe skin
- Comfrey - Sometimes white or blue flowered -
Poisonous Plants Main
By David Hughes -